Wednesday, February 2, 2011

English Muffins with a Twist!

What perfect timing! We got a decent accumulation of snow last night and the consensus around these parts this morning was to stay home and bask in the peace of this snow day.  It also happens that today was the day that I wanted to try out my sourdough English muffin recipe. And since there was a foot of snow outside, I figured that staying in and baking was in order (xc skiing and birthday dinner with Em Hill at Soup Spoon are also on the list!).  Oh, and I'm also working on my IRB training renewal today (has it really been two years already?!).

The process for this sourdough started a week ago on 1/26. I mixed up the starter (flour, water, yeast, honey) and set it out on the counter to ferment. Every morning I stirred it up to mix in the liquid that had separated. By the fifth day, the mixture had taken on an almost sweet, yeasty, beer like smell.  I figured this was a good sign.


Due to poor timing earlier this week, I let the starter go for one day longer than it should have - so the batch is an extra sour sourdough.  After the starter had fermented (and then some) I added more flour and water and then let the sponge sit and rise overnight.  Then the next morning I added even more flour, oil, and salt and mixed it all up, let the dough rise again, cut out the muffins, let the muffins rise, then cooked them on a griddle.  I admit, it would have been MUCH easier to run to the store and pick up a bag of Thomas's, however, I find the process of baking bread incredibly relaxing - therapeutic even. The act of kneading the dough and waiting for multiple rises is a practice in tension release and in patience.  Baking, and cooking in general, I find are processes that allow me to really feel and also process my emotions. This is a good thing.

Once the muffins were done cooking, I set out some cultured butter, homemade concord grape jelly (Thanks Kellie!), honey, and a teapot of English Breakfast tea.  This was a perfect afternoon treat :)

Sourdough English Muffins (adapted from the Tasajjara Bread Book)
Yields 40 muffins (This is a double batch. I'll be giving some of these away to friends.)

The Starter:
1 tbsp dry yeast
2 1/2 c warm water 
2 tsp honey
2 1/2 c flour (I used whole wheat)


Mix the ingredients. Cover with a cheesecloth or towel and let ferment at room temperature for 5-6 days.  Stir daily.



The Sponge: 
5 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c starter
4 c lukewarm water

At night, place starter and flour in a large mixing blow. Then gradually add the water, stirring the mixture thoroughly. Cover with a towel and set out overnight. (Note: You will have leftover starter. To replenish the starter, take 1 1/2 c of the sponge in the morning and add it back to the starter. Store the starter in the refrigerator and use again.)

The Muffins:
1/2 c oil (I used canola)
1 tbsp salt
5 c whole wheat flour

In the morning, replenish the starter and refrigerate the starter for future use. Add the oil, salt, and flour to the sponge. Stir. You may need to use your hands to mix all of this up. Kneed on a floured surface for 5 minutes. Add more flour if necessary for kneading, although this dough should be a little softer and stickier than most yeasted bread doughs. Cut into two loaves, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise for 2 hours.

(USE THIS TIME TO WORK ON YOUR THESIS OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU REALLY SHOULD BE DOING!)

Next, punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch. Cut out circles about 3" in diameter (I used a wide mouth ball jar). Sprinkle the muffins with cornmeal. Cover with a dry towel and let rise for 45 minutes.


(NOW GO FINISH YOUR IRB TRAINING RENEWAL OR OTHER BIT OF VERY IMPORTANT WORK THAT YOU HAVE WAITING FOR YOU!!)

Cook on an un-greased griddle.  Start out at medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Watch to be sure they don't burn! Then reduce the heat to low for an additional 3-5 minutes. Flip and repeat. If the muffins are still gooey on the inside, bake them in a 350° F oven for a few minutes. 


Serve with butter, jelly, honey, cream cheese, eggs, or whatever else you can think of!

Enjoy :) 

3 comments:

  1. I thought of you when I saw this just last week on the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen Blog: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2011/01/homemade-english-muffins/

    These are beautiful! I'd have never thought to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, these look like fun. Though, how does one make the list of "friends to be shared with"?

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, come over to my place to be a taste tester on Sunday afternoons and you'll make the list. :)

    ReplyDelete