Saturday, August 6, 2011

I'm Back!


Hello my fellow food lovers! I'm back from the abyss otherwise known as writing and defending my thesis, walking 400 miles across Spain, moving across the country, and starting my first week of medical school!


Picture it: I'm in Kansas City, in my new apartment, listening to the Ditty Bops, and enjoying a lazy Saturday afternoon. My culinary task for today was to bake my first ever batch of  vegan cupcakes - very important cupcakes. These are birthday cupcakes that will help celebrate my 27th!

I was a little bit nervous about the consistency of these little babies, but they turned out great! If you're in the market for a dairy and egg free cupcake (and frosting) recipe, you should definitely give these a try.

Basic Vegan Chocolate Cupcake and Fluffy Vegan Buttercream Frosting (Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

The Cakes:

1 c vanilla, sweetened soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla or chocolate)
1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside and wait a few minutes for the mixture to curdle. Add sugar oil, and extracts and beat until foamy.


In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth.


Pour the batter into a greased or paper lined muffin tin. Fill cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. (While the cupcakes are baking, I highly recommend licking the batter off the utensils and bowl!). When the cupcakes are done, remove from baking tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely. When the cupcakes have cooled, frost and then refrigerate until ready to serve (the frosting gets soft if you don't refrigerate).


The Frosting:

1/2 c nonhydrogenated shortening (I recommend Spectrum All Vegetable Shortening)
1/4 c nonhydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance is good)
1 3/4 c confectioners sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 c unsweetened soy or almond milk (I used almond)

Beat the shortening and margarine together until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and soy milk and beat for 4 minutes.

Once the frosting is prepared, place in the refrigerator until ready to frost the cupcakes. Be sure the cupcakes have cooled completely before frosting or else the frosting will melt.


ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, and just when I was craving chocolate cupcakes! I sent this to my sister (who has all the vegan cooking ingredients, but I'm tempted to head to the health food store so I can try these myself.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete