Saturday, August 13, 2011

A New Direction



It's a beautiful summer night, the moon is huge in the sky, and I'm reflecting on changes that are taking place in my life right now. You'll notice a new theme on my blog. I've decided to cut animal products from my diet.


So, bye bye beef, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs and any other animal based food! You might wonder what triggered this decision. I've fluctuated back and forth over the past 5 or 6 years between strict vegetarianism and consumption of animal products raised in an ecologically responsible manner. I've also spent the past three years at Michigan State studying the merits of diets rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes and low in animal fat and protein.

The events of the past month are what pushed me all the way over to vegan. When I returned home from Spain at the end of July, I found out that my dad had been diagnosed with melanoma. Over the past three weeks, we've received numerous test results, and ultimately we are dealing with metastatic cancer. Although this has been an incredibly difficult few weeks, the spirit and strength of my friends and family have helped me to begin processing what's happening. I feel so loved and supported and I know that my dad is being lifted up by so many loved ones all over the world. I've decided that instead of reacting negatively to this news, we need to be as proactive and positive as possible, taking what we can into our own hands.

It is well established that cancer loves sugar, and my dad has already drastically reduced his sugar intake, especially simple carbohydrates. A lesser touted result of epidemiologic studies is that populations that adhere to a vegan diet have a lower incidence of cancer (cancer prevention). Vegan diet has also been successfully used, in combination with pharmacologic therapies (including chemotherapy) to treat and eliminate cancer. If anything, aiming toward a well planned vegan diet will promote consumption of "superfoods" that are packed with the nutrients necessary for promoting health and fighting disease. I also believe that actively controlling a portion of the therapy plan could provide mental and emotional benefits - fostering feelings of empowerment. And who knows, that could help too.

So, I asked my dad to think about shifting over to a vegetarian and eventually a vegan diet. I realized, about a week after I made the request, that it would be much easier for him to achieve this goal if we tried the new diet together. So here I am. I'm diving into the world of vegan cooking during my first week of medical school. I'm testing the recipes and then posting them for my dad (and others) to use. Cooking is an emotional outlet for me, and these days it has become even more important. I will be posting recipes and also sharing my thoughts and experiences throughout this journey.

If you have any input or recipes you would like to share, I'd love to hear from you!

Spicy (or mild) Tomato Tempeh (Adapted from Simply in Season)
Yields 4 servings

FYI: Tempeh is basically fermented soybeans. It is a little bit more flavorful than tofu and also has more texture. I find it delightful!

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (reduced sodium)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp paprika

Combine these ingredients in a medium bowl.

8 oz tempeh (cut into 1 in. squares or bite sized pieces)

Add the tempeh to the sauce and toss to coat completely. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. Stir half way through, at 15 minutes.

1 red or green pepper (thinly sliced)
1 large yellow onion (thinly sliced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)

In a large frying pan, saute the pepper, onion and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil until the vegetables have softened and the onion is translucent.

1 1/2 lbs tomatoes (fresh, coarsely chopped)
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (this can be eliminated to get rid of the heat, but I love it!)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf

Add the tomatoes and spices to the vegetables and cook on medium-high heat until the tomatoes soften and the mixture begins to bubble, about 7-10 minutes.

1 tbsp flour
1 tsp sugar (optional)
dash of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Add the flour, slowly, while stirring. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the roasted tempeh. Stir. Add the remaining ingredients. Serve with rice (preferably brown), polenta, or your favorite grain.

BUEN PROVECHO!





No comments:

Post a Comment